As we traverse, interpret, and resonate through the human condition,
it is my hope that we find ourselves illuminated on the page.
Jayne Harnett-Hargrove is a cross trained in the traditional arts who's output
encompasses designing opera and theater costume to word-wrangling
free-style graphic novels exploring memory, history and myth.
Gleaning narrative shards from the road of memory and personal mythology,
threading symbolism and pushing the oft non-sequitur into meaning
— where images expand and enlighten the written prose.
She is a meticulous designer, informing and personifying characters through the medium of costume.
She is a picture maker who bridges visual story telling into codices and asemic works. Pictures are captured in the creative slipstream with skill of intent or through the surprise of process.
She is a bricoleur who tends to upcycle what is handy, using craft skills to reinvent, elevate, and reintroduce materials in refreshing ways.
She is cross-trained out in the world, educated in NYC/Parsons and California/CCA in fine & theater arts, costume to couture, commercial and interpretive installation.
Harnett-Hargrove has been a working professional artist for over 25 years. Clients include the DeYoung Museum, San Francisco Opera, Henri Bendel, and Hanzon Studio. She guides ArtMix; day trips into the expressive arts to carry into the practice of life.
Whether building an artist's book or draping a fifteenth century gown
I consider all I do relating to the creative flux.
DESIGN / theater + opera
selected work - costume design unless noted
• Trashion, CO - '19 PrideFest / EXDO catwalk show of up-cycled costume fashion
• SART, NC - ’19 Summer repertory theater
• Flat Rock Playhouse, NC - '17 - Amadeus / Lisa K. Bryant dir., Little Mermaid / Dave Hart dir.
• Indianapolis Opera, IN - ’17 - Barber of Seville / Jon Truitt dir.
• Asheville Lyric Opera, NC - ’10/18 - Brundibar / Kristen Yarborough-Hedberg dir., Don Pasquale / Benjamin Smith, dir., Cosi fan Tutte / Ruth Heuermann, dir., Sound of Music / Kristen Yaborough-Hedberg, dir., West Side Story / JJ Hudson dir.
• Young Harris College, GA '12 - Jack / Gregory McGrath, dir., Museum / Rachel Chaves, dir.
• Altamont Theater, NC '11 - Costume / props / set design: Pete’N Keely / Sam Viverito, dir.
• NC Stage, NC. '11 - costume design; One Flea Spare / Angie Flynn-McIver, dir.
• Acoma Center, Denver, CO '97 season: Artist / Designer in residence.
• Ad Hoc Theater Company, Denver CO '95 season - collateral / costume / set design: Merchant of Venice and Macbeth / James Gale dir.
• San Francisco Opera, CA '87/'88 season - Milliner under Charles Batte. La Traviata / John Copley, dir. with David Walker costume, Tales of Hoffman / Lotfi Mansouri, dir., Salome / Nikolaus Lehnhoff, dir.
• Berkeley Repertory Theater, CA '82 - Noel Coward's Tonight at 8:30
DESIGN / illustration
a cross section
• Big Lily, illustrations for children’s book - author Kristen Yarborough Hedberg
• Stock Imagery, Getty Images - 1998-Present. Stock photography available on CD and Internet, distributed by PhotoDisc, Artville,
and PunchStock. (partnered with Lonnie Hanzon)
• The Cat the Cat Dragged In by Eve Babitz. Cover & inside art.
• The Pulse of Mixed Media: Secrets and Passions of 100 Artists Revealed by Seth Apter.
Inclusion of words and art.
• RUNTWEAR & kiddie couture - est.'98 Upcycled / reshaped / rehatched children’s clothing.
Labels; Karmix / Housedress / Smartaschmata / Yougotayukata / Boroborokokoro
• Christine Foley Knitwear, San Francisco, CA '90/'94 - Design of bright signature knitwear.
• Palo Alto Black & White Ball, CA '91/'94 - Concept, design and execution of gala.
• Groot & Mislove, NYC '90/'91 - Surface design for fashion fabric.
• Lonnie Hanzon Inc., Denver, CO '85 - ongoing. Selected work:
- Nieman Marcus - Dallas, TX '05/'10 - 95th/100th anniversary Palladium Tree and windows.
- Pacific Place & Island Place - Swire Properties, Hong Kong '94/'97 - Large scale holiday
decor and performance-puppet dragon.
- Renaissance Entertainment Corp. Boulder, CO '95 - Product illustration, R + D,
- The Rain Forest Project/Nature Company, MCA Universal Citywalk, Los Angeles, CA '93 -
Environment for interactive store feature.
- Major Details, Berkeley, CA '87/'89 - Production Development for new retail concept.
• 'Liquid' Nightclub, Florence, Italy '86 - Painting and decor installation.
• Rosella Di Re / Il Punta Rosa, Florence, Italy '86 - Design and execution of trade booth at Pitti Casa / 'Forte Di Basso’.
• Primary Productions, Santa Barbara, CA '85/'90 - owner.
Large format photography, sets and props for themed events, R&D, building, and painting of
backdrops, large flats, props and costume / millinery attire.
• Disguises Ltd, Bay Area, CA '81/'87 - owner.
Costume and millinery design and fabrication, for private clients and performers.
• Area Nightclub, NYC '82 Painting installation in pool for new night club concept.
• Henri Bendel & Woods Restaurant, NYC '81/'82 Window dressing.
• Foster City Progress, CA '78/'80 Staff photographer, darkroom work, ad layout & paste-up.
selected gallery shows
• Abecedarian Gallery - Denver, CO - An Ideation Experience - shown; Pick Three
• The Pulse - Putnam, CT - The Pulse Project - shown; Exhibit E: Burdensome Keychain
• The Museum of Outdoor Art- Denver, CO - Selections from the Collection - shown; The Raven - part of MOA permanent collection
• Empty Spaces Project - Putnam, CT - Five x Five
• Abecedarian Gallery - Denver, CO - Coptically Bound - shown; Metta: Loving Kindmness Illuminated - OOAK codex
• Museum of Outdoor Arts - Denver, CO - Cabinet of Curiosities - shown; THE PAPER DOLL STORIES: Life Profiles & Confessions.
• MOA - Denver, CO - ArchiTEXTure - shown; Mythos Trilogy / Cast of the Mind
• Salon - Denver, CO - Emergence - shown; Winter’s Work
• Loveland Museum - Loveland, CO - Stories in Stone / collaboration with Ann Cunningham
• Michener Library - Greeley, CO - Tales in Stones
• Museum of Outdoor Art - Denver, CO - Tales Written in Stone
• Olive Hyde Gallery - Oakland, CA - OPS - Minotaur’s Book Plates: There is a Shadow of a Monster on the Front Porch
• Mackey Gallery + Temple Buell Theater, Denver, CO - Seven
• Open Press - Denver, CO - Beyond Digital Imagery
• Artopia - Denver, CO - Art show / Rave
• Art Space, - Boulder, CO - OPS - Harnett-Hargrove: Spirits in the Material World
• Out of the Blue - Juneau, AK - OPS - Harnett-Hargrove: 35 Works
• Pacific Rim Gallery - SF, CA - Kindred Spirits - with Mark Wagner and Lonnie Hanzon
• Icaan Gallery, Manhattan Beach, CA - OPS - Harnett-Hargrove: Celestial Bodies
• Pacific Rim Gallery - San Francisco, CA - OPS - Harnett-Hargrove: Installation - Ritual masks, Marionettes, the Grave Angel series.
• Railroad Square Gallery - Waterville, ME - OPS - Harnett-Hargrove: The Shadow Side
• Ghia Gallery - San Francisco, CA - Passages: Installation on the Passage of Death
(Hand made book as show companion.- with Lonnie Hanzon and Terry Koepsel.)
HONORS / COLLECTIONS
• Museum of Outdoor Art, Denver CO - Tales Written in Stone / The Raven
• Museum of Outdoor Art, Denver CO - Minotaur: There is the Shadow of a Monster on the Front Porch - OOAK codex
• Private collection - Law Office, Denver CO - Parade
• Private collections across USA, Australia, Japan
• Colorado Council on the Arts - Grant recipient
• Museum of Outdoor Arts, Denver, CO - Design & Build. Summer program for cross training college students -culminating into
large outdoor theatrical event at the bandshell.
• MV Elementary, CA - ’07, ’08 Art guidance & process.
• Art-Mix - Art enrichment and creativity workshops and day trips into the expressive arts to carry into the practice of life.
• Parsons School of Design / New York City, NY
• California School of Arts / San Francisco & Oakland, CA